Sunday, June 20, 2010

Camp Ocean Pines

The first weekend in June Shalynn, Tawny, and I headed over to the coast for camp with the Girl Scouts. We didn't have to drive this year and it was really nice for me to just be a passenger. Last year we went to Camp Ocean Pines with another Girl Scout Service Unit and we had a really good time. This year we just went with our little troop, not all the girls went either. We have 14 girls in the troop and only 11 girls came. The girls and I rode with Ellen the troop leader and then we had two other parents that came with us and were drivers too. We had two cabins at the camp and they were really great, they had a bathroom and a shower inside the cabin and not all camps have that. When we would go up to Camp Quaker Meadow the cabins are off in one area and then there are showers in another building and bathrooms scattered all over the camp. Tawny was a little sad that we were not going there this year because she really wanted to go on the Zip Line again. It only took me forever last year to get her to actually try and and then once she did she was hooked on it. Each camp has its special features and this time we were planning on actually going kayaking, something that we didn't do last year. The first night that we were there it took the girls forever to actually settle down and go to sleep. I knew that it was only going to last for that first night, because the next day we had a lot planned and the girls would be just to tired not to go to sleep once we hit the cabins. This year we stayed in the Galileo cabin. It was painted with stars and planets all over the walls and it was really great. Normally at camp you don't expect the food at camp to be any good but this camp has always had good food and this year wasn't any different. It was totally worth the money that we spent to go there.

Day two started with a great breakfast and then we all packed our lunch for our day trip kayaking. The camp is in Cambria California and we were going to be kayaking down in Morro Bay which is only 30 minutes south of Cambria. So we all put on sunscreen and bathing suits, and for us adults clothing that we were ok getting wet in. For the first half of the trip I was in the big War Canoe with a couple of girls that were a little afraid of trying the kayaks at first. We were on the water for about 20 minutes and then we pulled ashore on the spit of land that was between the estuary and the ocean. The mud was really great to walk in and it was nice and cool in the water. The girls had a great time chasing each other in the mud. We then decided to hike over the beach spit over to the ocean. Now that was a journey that I will not be to hip on taking again. The sand was so hot that we had to dig our feet in deeper so that we were on cooler sand. It was so hot I think some of us got blisters on our feet. If you look in this picture you will see Shalynn at the top of the hill sitting down to cool her feet of a little bit and psyching herself up to keep on going. We had a small area that we could walk in because parts of the beach were roped off for the wildlife that was hatching at the time. And because the Morro Beach area is a preserve we were not allowed to take anything from the beach like shells and thing. It was really hard for the girls but they had a great time looking at all the different kinds of shells and other animals that live on the beach. I think I must of stood in the ocean for a good 30 minutes to make my feet cold enough so that I could walk on the hot sand back to where we had beached the boats. I was a little behind the kids in going over the hill to the beach and I saw this really great flowering plan just growing out of the sand and I couldn't resist taking pictures. When I saw this it reminded me of some of the beauty of the desert that we are living in right now as well. I guess I will just have to look a little harder to see some of the beauty. By the end of the kayaking trip I think all of us were a little sunburned and some of us more than others. We did a little souvenir shopping at some of the really cute shops along the boardwalk and then we all went to get ice cream because once we were off the water it was hot again. Tyler and Robin the two people that were leading our programs for the camp told us that it hadn't been this hot in awhile. I guess we brought the heat with us from the desert. That was something that we really didn't want to hear but we did have a good time. We came back to camp after ice cream and we were just in time for dinner. We had hamburgers, french fries, and some really great green beans. After dinner the girls were ready for crafts. As Ellen says our girls really love to do crafts and this year the camp really provided for us. The first craft was tye-dying t-shirts and we didn't even use rubber bands this time. The second craft was making a glass piece that we could end up making a bracelet or necklace later. We started with a base piece of glass and then added all kinds of different pieces of glass on top. Ten Scott the guys in charge of all the crafts put them all in the Kiln to melt together. Then we all tried our hand at some Gyotaku which is fish painting in Japan. The girls were given blue bandannas and then they painted the tops of some rubber fish and then laid them all out on the bandannas and made their own piece of art work. After making the bandannas we headed out for Campfire and then it was off to bed. I think the adults were really wiped. You forget how fast the sun and wind can take the energy out of you. Once we got to the cabins the girls were pretty much asleep once their heads hit their pillows.

Day three started with me getting up and getting as much of me, Shalynn and Tawny packed up so we wouldn't have to do it later because I know I was going to be helping the other girls get all their stuff packed up. We had french toast, eggs, and cheese for breakfast and then we headed down to the beach to take a look at the tide pools and to see if we could seen any animals left in the pools while the tide was out. We saw a ton of hermit crabs, some small starfish and we even got to see some pretty big starfish. Most of the bigger ones were really attached to the rocks that we were climbing on but we did find one that was not attached and some of the girls were able to pick it up and touch it. We also saw a sea urchin and it was pretty cool. I remember when living in Tunisia and we would go to the beach we would always find their empty shells and it was really great to actually see one still in its shell. I think we were at the tide pools for about an hour and then we went back to camp to finish packing up and then check out. We then went up to coast a little way and went to see the elephant seals and we let the girls out a moonrock beach to see what they could find. Then we finally got back in the cars and headed out for home. I think we stopped for lunch/dinner around 5 in the afternoon and then hit it hard to get home. Even then we didn't get home until 9 in the evening. By the time the girls and I got home I was totally ready to hit the hay and not get up for a long long time. But fun was had everyone and I think the girls would really like to go again next year but Ellen and I might be trying to get a cruise set up for the girls. We will have to see though.









No comments: