Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dakota and the Pinewood Derby

The first day of March happened to fall on Thursday which also happened to be Cub Scout Pack Meeting and the Pinewood Derby.  Dakota and I got his car cut by a friend of mine on Sunday and we spent Monday - Wednesday painting and figuring out what else we wanted to do with his car.  I asked him if he has a Lego head that he would like to put on the top of the car to make it look like the car had a driver and he went and brought me a Star Wars Storm Trooper head.  I though it was so awesome that he wanted to add that to the car.  So anyway Monday Tawny let him borrow the paints in her Art set and he painted his car and he did a really great job.  Tuesday we worked getting the wheels in the track and getting them so that they would run straight.  I hear of a new trick to put glue in the track so that the wheels would stay put so we tried that this year and a friend gave me some graphite to put in the wheels to make it so that they would spin really really good and not get stuck and slow the car down.  Wednesday we worked on putting a little bit of wight on the car but in the end we didn't put enough on.  Since we don't have the right type of scale at home we could not make sure that the car was the right weight.  Thankfully when we got to the Church on Thursday they had glue guns and weights that we could add to the car to make them regulations weight.  Dakota and I were not the only ones that were adding weight either so that made me feel better too.
Dakota and I were a little late arriving at the weigh in because Chris was a little late getting home from work.  So I had him drop Dakota, Dylan and I off at the church so that we could get his car registered and then he would drop the rest of the kids off on his way to his back appointment.  After Dakota and I put the right amount of weight on his car he ran a few test races to see if the car would run down the track and it went pretty fast.  We are not that good at making the Derby cars yet.  I hope that next year Grandpa Matlock will be able to work with him and that they will be able to come up with and Awesome car to put in the Derby.  The rest of the family except for Chris showed up about 15 minutes before the start of racing and they were able to sit with Dakota and cheer his car on.  He won a few of the heats that he was in and his car did hold his own.  He was not left behind and he could keep up with most of the cars but there were a few that were just to fast and they stayed fast the entire time.  I think we need to get in good with the winner and pick his brain for the next car that we decide to make.  Dakota didn't win first or second place but he did get an award for the "Most Patriotic Car"
 Dakota's car is in lane one of this picture
 All of the kids decided that they wanted to watch the race from under the table.  So as they were eating their candy and cookies and just fooling around they were also being pretty good about sitting still and just watching the race. 
Dakota's car is in land 3 of this picture.


No comments: