Last year I found a great resource for studying the scriptures with your kids. I was not able to put it into practice but I have decided that this year we are going to try it out. You are supposed to read 8 pages a day and it should only take you 2 months and few days to finish the Book of Mormon. I have tried to read every day of the summer with the kids so far but we have missed a few days and then there was one day that we didn't finish all 8 pages but we are doing pretty good. Shalynn and Tawny are willing to read and we take quite a bit of time to actually talk about the things that they are reading. We just got to the part in 1 Nephi where Nephi is having his vision and he is seeing what is going to happen to his seed and how Christopher Columbus is going to discover the Americas, and all the other fun things during that time period. The kids thought it was pretty cool that Nephi had seen all those things before they happened. It was really great to watch the kids as Chris and I were discussing how the Americas were founded and to see the dawning of understanding in the kids eyes. Even Dakota is having a good time with scripture study and Caris wants to read all the time. This is going to be great for their reading skills over the summer too. I am so greatful that the kids are actually willing to sit down with me and pull their scriptures out. I didn't know how that was going to go over with them during their time off from school. I am thinking that I would like to continue the scripture study once school starts again but we would do it after school and we wouldn't read 8 pages but maybe a chapter a day just to make sure that they get their reading in.
As the kids get older and with my calling as the Beehive Advisor I see that the more armor and weapons that I can give my children against the advisory the better off they will be. I hope that they will learn that they always have someone to come to when they need help and when I or their dad is not around that they can always call upon the Lord to help them.
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment