Well last Tuesday we headed to see Dr. Shah so he could check out Shalynn's wrist and make sure that everything was healing like it was supposed to. When we got to his office he brought us into his office so that we could see the x-rays that were taken on Monday. He didn't like the look of one of the x-rays and asked us if we would go back over to Advanced Imaging and get another one done, and then before we came back to see him have them call him so he could take a look at the image.
I was fine with that I didn't think it would take to long to get another x-ray taken and then we could be right back at Dr. Shah's office and then be home so that we were there when the other kids got home from school. Grandma and Grandpa were down in Victorville for Dr. appointments for Grandpa so it was only the dogs at home. So it took us at least a half an hour to get in to the x-ray machine and then they took at least 5 new shots of her wrist and still could not get the angle that the Dr. wanted.
By the time they finished taking the last picture of her wrist I hear from the x-ray tec that Dr. Shah had to go back down to Palmdale and that he would call me later and tell me what he had decided about Shalynn's wrist. As you can see from the pictures that are here he decided that he needed to go in and fix her wrist because he thought that the bones had moved and it would be better to fix it now instead of having to break her wrist again if it got to mended.
So when I first talked to Dr. Shah later in the day he said that he wanted her to come back down to Palmdale and he would take a look at it under a better x-ray machine and then if things had moved he would already be ready to move her bones around. He wanted to schedule us for Thursday or Friday and told me that his office staff would get back to me. It must have been about an hour later when I got the call that he wanted to move the surgery if need be up to Wednesday at 11:15 in the afternoon. He said he thought it was critical enough to get her down and into surgery so we could fix anything that was wrong.
In the end everything worked out for Wednesday. Grandma and Grandpa were going to be out of town on Thursday because they had Dr. appointments down in Loma Linda for Grandpa and Chris is still using the Van because the Truck still needs to be fixed. So I was able to take Grandma and Grandpa's truck down to Palmdale Wednesday morning and I left earlier enough so that I was going to be there a little more than an hour before her surgery was scheduled. It just so happened that after I left the surgery center called to see if I could leave now and Grandma told them that I had already left. I guess the Dr. was running a little ahead of schedule and they just wanted to make sure that I was going to be on time and maybe a little early.
Dr. Shah explained to Shalynn and I that he was going to go in and take a look at where things were sitting in her wrist and then he would decide on what type of action to take. So we had the option of having wires put in her arm along with pins and if he was going to do that she was going to have her wrist cut open so that the wires could be put in. After getting in there and taking a look he decided to just take out the old pins which in the long run was a good idea because it looked like one of the pins was getting infected. After the surgery he came out and talked to me and told me that this time when he tired to move her bone back into the right place he heard it pop back in where as last time it did not want to go back in and there was a lot of swelling. So in the end he put two pins back in and there were on the side of her wrist not on the top and none of them were sticking out of her skin this time. He wants to see her again on Tuesday in the morning and we need to get an x-ray done again on Monday. I hope that we don't have to go down again until it is time to take the pins out.
No comments:
Post a Comment